Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mathematical Musings

In the midst of exams here, sorry for my lack of posting! I've only got one to go -- math -- and I'm writing it Monday morning. I should be practicing my probability, which is a bit rusty still, but my brain is such a muddle of fractions and decimals and equations that I honestly don't know how I can possibly keep studying. It really does seem that the more I study, the less I understand.

I'm not overly worried about doing poorly on the exam -- I've calculated that, even if I get a low mark on it, I can still retain a 90-average because of other work that I've done in the course. My concern isn't that I'll bring down my mark; it's that I'll let my teacher down. Just a few days ago, he told me that he was really pleased with how I was doing in the course and asked if he could use one of my projects to show as an example to future classes.

This was a very pleasant surprise, considering how much I've hated math all my life. Oh, I know that most everyone "hates" math -- but I'm sure that few people have ever cried every day for a whole year before math class, as I did in fourth grade (we were learning long division -- now, I have a scientific calculator for that chore!). Math has always scared the wits out of me, and, even though I've always managed to scrape by with A's in the subject, I never really understood it or felt confident in it. It's only in my final year of high school that I've managed to find an aspect of math which I enjoy. I never expected to like math -- much less be good at it -- so this has served as a nice lesson in doing hard things for me.

The problem is, I still feel like my good grades aren't really representative of what I know. In many of the units, I only got high marks because tests were easy and I happened to memorize the right notes; not so much because I understood what I was learning.

And now I'm feeling the pressure. My teacher, who thinks I'm great at math, expects me to get an equally great mark on the exam, and I just don't think I'll be able to manage it. I've memorized all the formulas and practiced all the questions, but get stuck as soon as I encounter a new question, and only manage to understand it after I check the Answer Key. Plus, my brain's really, really about to melt.

So I'm really going to let down my teacher on the exam -- and I hate that feeling! We've all seen singers release not-so-great albums, athletes do sub-par on the Olympics, writers publish disappointing sequels -- I hate to think that I'm going to make someone feel that way with my own work. I really don't like letting people down; whether I'm blogging, Flickr'ing, or working on schoolwork, I'm always worried about how my work will measure up to all that I've done in the past. In fact, that's why I quit writing for several years after sixth grade -- I wrote a few good (for my age) stories that won me an award, and I stopped experimenting, afraid that I would fail to produce something equally good.

This fear of pressure is also why I stopped blogging three times (on other blogs, not this one) and quit art in middle school. It's ruled a lot of my life. I've learned, in time, to overcome it, but it's getting the better of me tonight. And it's making me wonder.

Why do I care so much about what my teacher will think of me if I fail, and so little about what God thinks when I disappoint him? God has seen me as a devoted, trusting, and on-fire disciple, and now he sees me slipping away, running after the transient, emphemeral charms and deceptions of this earth instead of stepping closer to him. He sees me trip over the world's worthless lies, and fall so, so far below what he wants and expects me to be.

Why do I care so little?

Granted, there's no pressure. In God, I am free from pressure, competition, deadline, and stress. He wants me to work, rest, and commune with him out of my own will, not as a response to prodding or force. It's my choice to serve God, and it's my choice to care.

Tonight, I feel at peace. Whether I do poorly on tomorrow's exam, or whether I hear another "Good job, Oksana," I know that only one thing matters: it's whether or not I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Only one thing matters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Oksana!

What an awesome post! You have realized exactly what God asks of us -- to be free in Him! I will pray for your exam. Take it from another math hater: I cried daily over my math through high school!

In Him
Phylicia

Abigail Kraft said...

Hi Oksana,
I have been reading your blog for quite a while now. I've really enjoyed your ponderings and insights. It's a true blessing for me to see how God works on His followers in so many different ways.

I have always liked math--I do know what you're saying though with many aspects of my life. I feel like no matter how much I try, if I don't fulfill every expectation that people have for me, then I have somehow failed. Refocusing my life on the only thing that matters is difficult, but so rewarding! Jesus Christ truly is the only One we should worry about, and with Him guiding us, we will never be disappointed. :)

Thanks so much for sharing! I love your blog--your writing is exquisite.

In His arms,
--Abigail

Oksana said...

Phylicia: Thanks for your encouragement! :) (And, I must say, it's comforting to find someone who can relate to my math struggles! I thought I was alone in that respect).

Abigail: Thank you so much for your comment! :D It's so interesting to hear how similar your point of view is, even though your experiences are different from mine. Amazing how God can teach two different people the same thing in different ways. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your blog is lovely -- I will be coming back to it for sure! :)