Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pattern




i've talked of heaven's gates in terms
of geometric patterns --
the golden bars, pearl-laden and parallel --
repeating, repeating, repeating
infinitely...
their endless panoramas raced through my mind while i sat
mastering the equation
and missing the entrance.

but you

you haven't learned arithmetic yet
and your faith makes me restless.

i believe 
when i see your fingers reach for mine
the lines in the palms of your hands, 
which you clutched so tightly 
in the womb --

these
are your patterns.

lift them, child,
leave your imprints in the air; 
our unseen fingerprints are 
His to breathe in
His to remember...

and He will collect your patterns,
guard them tightly between the pages of His book 
save the songs you spun in worship
eternally

forever and ever and ever and ever
and always.


it is a pattern, child

and it's dancing.







Inspired by Brooke Fraser's song "Seeds." Read its lyrics -- they're amazing.

5 comments:

Holly said...

So beautiful.

Hannah said...

Mmm. That is beautiful.

Oksana said...

Thank you. :)

Abigail Kraft said...

Wow....I am completely and utterly speechless. I don't think I've ever seen this concept executed so beautifully in words. You have such a gift--the tenderness which your words held gave me goose bumps. Amazing.

I am going to start a monthly blogging challenge at my blog starting on February 2nd. On the first Monday of every month, I think it would be amazing to get several people to post their own original works of poetry and link them up at my blog. I'm going to be posting more info on my blog this Saturday, but I just thought I'd give you the heads up and a personal (and hopeful) invitation! :) I know people would be just as inspired as I am to read what you have written! I would be completely thrilled to have you participate.

I hope you decide to participate!
In His arms,
--Abigail

Oksana said...

Abigail: Absolutely! Count me in -- sounds like a great idea. And thank you so much for your beautiful encouragement~

:)