Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A little overwhelmed; Part 1

Ever since I found out about it last year, I'd always wanted to apply to a certain university's graphic design program. I thought it would be easy; an application, maybe a few samples of work. I was looking forward to a lazy, relaxing summer. However, just as the relaxing, lazy days of summer began, I decided to look at the university's website -- an uncharacteristically responsible decision, knowing me! ;)

Well, long story short, I found out that only about 1/9 of the applicants get into the program, and that a very good portfolio needed to be submitted in order to be accepted. Panic set in. As I skimmed through the galleries of student work, panic grew. I began to look through my previous graphic design work to see what I could find, but it all seemed way too simplistic compared to what I saw on the website. So I decided to start from scratch and see what I could do with what I had -- Paintshop Pro, a sketchbook, and a summer.

I've learned to do things that I thought only the pros could do.

I've also come very close to giving up many times.

I don't mean the first thing in a bragging way. I've just never challenged myself to stretch my abilities this far. I still can't believe just how much easier everything becomes if you just try.

This has been my craziest, busiest summer yet. Out of the 10 items I need for my portfolio, one (which I consider my best) is half-done, 4 are complete, and 5 more are floating around in my brain. Some days, I fill up pages and pages with ideas. Some days I just pray and cry in misery. One day, I managed to destroy one acrilyc painting, one pencil drawing, and two watercolor pieces, before coming up with something passable.

This summer, I need to finish my portfolio, start designing a site for it, and get to work on my sketchbook (one of the required components).

I also need to make the autumn issue of Multi Media Ministry, my e-zine.

I'm designing two logos; one for a website, one for a club.

Plus, I've got to make my mom birthday presents (handmade gifts are a long-standing family tradition).

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with it all.

Part 2 of this post coming later.

Love, Oksy

0 comments: