Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A little overwhelmed; Part 2

Now that I have the complaining part done (see my last post), I'll explain the other part of this crazy thing called preparing for university.

Let's go back to June. It was a hot and muggy (I honestly don't remember if it was either, but let's pretend just for the dramatic effect!) summer's day when I was called out class to my guidance councelor. To my dismay, it turned out that both of the art classes I had signed up for had conflicted with my schedule. I was really discouraged and disappointed -- I didn't know if I absolutely needed these classes for university, but I knew they'd be a big asset. When it comes to art, I rarely find the initiative in myself to actually sit down and draw or paint. Just taking out that box of paints or that tin of pencils takes more effort than the art itself. Having a teacher kick me into creative mode saves me a the biggest step: starting.

A few days later, through a Flickr group which I visited incessantly while I was supposed to be studying for exams, I discovered a website called TheRebelution.com. Two teenagers, Alex and Brett Harris, had put together this site for other teens, whom they believed the world was robbing of their potential. What struck me about this website was that its message was incredibly simple, and applicable to every area of our lives.

The simplicity of the message was encapsulated in just three words: "do hard things." As the Harris twins say, everybody around us seems to expect the very least from us, teenagers: they expect us to slack off in school, to be messy, to procrastinate, to abuse substances, to idolize celebrities, to get hung up on our body image, to get into trouble... you get the point. The phrase "dealing with teenagers" brings up over 24,000 hits on Google -- apparently, teenagers are an inconvenience that has to be "dealt with." Alex and Brett Harris say that part of the reason that teenagers begin to lead these kinds of problematic lives is because they're expected to. To illustrate, imagine meeting the president -- when you're with him, you're expected to be polite, and you live up to those expectations. When you're living a normal life as a teenager, you're expected to make a wreck of it, and, well...

Boy, did that message ring out clear to me.

There are two ways out of the fix society has made for us. One is to go on strike, picketing Hollywood and mass media headquarters, trying to get them to raise their expectations for us. The other way is to change how we respond to them. It's clear which way is more difficult... and more rewarding. The Rebelution challenges us to rebel against the easy, responsibility-free lives that people expact us to live, by "doing hard things." Things that will stretch our abilities, teach us to handle tough situations, build up our character, bless the people around us. Things that will change the world and our lives in ways that no one expects us to change it.

Up till the summer began, "do hard things" seemed easy -- I hadn't yet found a way to apply it to my life. The answer came as I wondered what I would to with my missing art classes. I decided to take action and spend the summer teaching myself to draw and paint. I planned to work as diligently as if I were in art class, and let God show me my hidden potential. I went out and bought two Moleskine notebooks; the somewhat-over-hyped, legendary sketchbooks used by Picasso and Van Gogh. They turned out to be very convenient and good-quality, so I began to fill them up.

Several days later, still in my artistic mode, I found out about the whole university application process, and I knew I'd have my work cut out for me -- but I decided to go for it. If I hadn't read about the Rebelution, I'd probably have never tried... I mean, who expects you to be one of the 120 people who get in? It's been the toughest summer of my life, but I don't regret my choice. Even if I don't get into the program, I'll have learned a lot about art, how to work without being asked, and how to keep my eyes focused on God in the midst of so much work -- more than art class could have ever taught me.

Funny how God sends messages like "Do Hard Things" just when you need them!

TheRebelution.com: Enlist Today
Love, Oksana

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Every Christian I know who has found out about The Rebelution, has had their life changed in a major way! I highly encourage you to read the book, if you have not done so already.

*subscribes to future posts*

Anonymous said...

Oops. sorry, forgot to leave my name.

Oksana said...

Thank you Trey! I added you to my Blogroll, if you don't mind. :)

I did buy the book... it really clinched my commitment to this movement. I hope to study it with my school's Christian club in the coming year. :)

Anonymous said...

My youth pastor gave me the book, I've read it, and I'm going to read it again for an upcoming bible study this fall. Best book I've ever read (besides the Bible, of course)!

Oh, and I've added you to my blogroll, too, under "Rebelutionaries."